Sunday, April 25, 2010

Makenna's Quilt

This quilt is a tradition. Here is the story behind it: My parents were part of a church group before my sisters and I were born. That church group slowly moved from being a young married couples group into being a young families group. When the group had a baby shower, the first child in the family always got all of the practical items that you need for a baby: clothes, diapers, towels, blankets, etc. After your first child, that family had most of the things that they needed for their second and/or third child, so they instead made a quilt block. The blocks were put together into a big quilt for the new baby. I, being the first born in my family, did not get a quilt, but I am not bitter at all...hehe. Well my best friend, Kristen, that came from that group, and who is the first born in her family too, decided that we needed to keep the tradition alive but also needed to make a quilt for the much neglected first child. So here is the beautiful quilt that Kristen and her mom Kathy worked on. Makenna is so lucky. A special thank you to Kristen and Kathy and all of the family and friends that made the quilt for Makenna so wonderful.