Friday, June 1, 2012

Our Little "Reader"

Almost every night and most nap times before Makenna climbs under the covers we read a book to her.  It is just part of our nightly routine that she loves.  At the baby shower she was given a book entitled I'm A Big Sister Now by Joanna Cole.  This has been a favorite since the shower and we have been reading it to her frequently as her pick for nighttime and nap time reading.  Just after Makenna turned two years old we noticed that she was really getting good at helping us "read" some books that are repetitive or are familiar to her.  She started out helping us with The Three Little Pigs and then Goldilocks and the Three Bears.  After beginning the story I'm a Big Sister Now for the umpteenth time with Makenna today at nap time I realized that she was chiming in quite a lot with the words and asked her if she wanted to read it to me.  She jumped at the opportunity and to my absolute surprise she "read" (had memorized) the entire book almost word for word.  I later made her read the book to daddy who was just as shocked as I was at this new talent.  Neither of us have it memorized that well and we read it just as much as she has heard it.  I decided that I needed to get a video of it.  Sorry, it is a bit long because it is the entire book and I put subtitles on the video just in case you can't understand what she is saying:-)